Attorneys James T. Carey and P. Zachary Stewart

Pursuing your Claims. Protecting your Rights.

Get Answers About Personal Injury

There is no such thing as a foolish question at Carey & Stewart. We understand that most people are unfamiliar with civil legal procedures such as personal injury claims. Whether you are already our client or are considering contacting us for the first time, we welcome the opportunity to clear up misconceptions and answer your questions such as those below.

What general advice do you offer someone who has been seriously injured in a car accident?

Gather any evidence that you can such as eyewitness contact information, a location for the wrecked car, and photos of the crash site and/or injuries while they are freshly apparent. Don’t make statements on your opinion about fault to law enforcement officers or insurance claims adjusters. Don’t post details about your accident on social media. Request a free consultation with a lawyer to get legal counsel as soon as possible.

I was making deliveries as part of my work duties. Another motorist turned left in front of me, and I was injured in the resulting crash. Who is responsible for compensating me, my employer or that other driver?

You likely have two cases: a workers’ compensation claim and a personal injury claim or lawsuit. Your workers’ compensation insurer should start paying for your necessary medical treatments right away. Meanwhile, you should contact a personal injury law firm to evaluate whether you can bring an injury claim or lawsuit against the negligent driver. At Carey & Stewart, we handle both workers’ compensation and third-party liability claims.

How long do I have to bring a lawsuit against someone who caused me injury?

In West Virginia, Ohio, and Pennsylvania, the statute of limitations in most cases is two years. However, you should get a case review as soon as possible. Evidence is most readily available right after a crash or any other type of accident. Please don’t put off deciding whether to bring legal action. If you wait too long, you may miss your chance.

If I sue someone because they caused me injury and I win my case, what will I be compensated for?

If your claim or lawsuit is successful, you may receive compensation of three types:

  • Economic damages, such as payments of your medical bills and replacement of your lost wages
  • Noneconomic damages, such as mental anguish and other forms of pain and suffering
  • Punitive damages, which serve as punishment for neglect

Not all settlements or verdicts include noneconomic or punitive damages. Ask an attorney what types of compensation you are likely to receive if your legal case succeeds.

These Questions Are Just A Start

You will probably have many other questions for our attorneys before your case is completed. We look forward to explaining how we can help you recover the compensation you deserve after a motor vehicle accident or other serious accident.

Call 304-914-3577 or send an email inquiry to schedule a free consultation.